You have no items in your cart.
The Peril of Lying
“And this is the main point to be made here, that the character of our leaders is important because it affects everyone-their peers and those they lead. And if a virtuous people is vital to self-government, as we have established, their virtue cannot help but be affected, in one direction or the other, by the behavior of their leaders”
“But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”
There is no issue that is more dangerous and deceitful than that of lying. Lying is the evidence of a wicked and fallen nature and it was the first response that our original ancestors gave to God when He asked them, “What have you done?” Adam and Eve could not tell the truth and consequently they lied to God. God’s response of judgment was swift and catastrophic. Jesus said that the Devil is the “father of lies” (John 8:44) teaching us that when we deliberately lie we mirror the demonic reality. This puts those who do this habitually in great peril.
By contrast, when we are redeemed (bought back) by the blood of Jesus, we evidence this redemption experience by ceasing to lie. The hallmark of a living relationship with God and of a good character is truth! Paul knew this and therefore wrote:
“Therefore, putting away lying, let each one of you speak
truth with his neighbor, “for we are members of one
God’s common grace upon all men enables them to be people of good character although not necessarily redeemed or saved. We need good people like this in government and history gives us many fine examples of upright and truthful leaders. Nations that put habitual liars into high office do so at their peril and history certainly proves this as well. We need to mark this well.
It is my privilege and joy to be a permanent resident of the United States of America. This is a great nation, unlike any other, with roots that are firmly planted in biblical soil. The Pilgrim and Founding Fathers clearly put their trust in the God of the Bible and trusted Him to help them forge a nation that would reflect the fact that they trusted in God. These people were great because they told the truth and were prepared to give their all for it. Who can forget the moving image of George Washington falling on his knees before the great battle of Valley Forge and calling on the God of the Bible for grace and help in a time of great need and danger. Washington loved the truth, spoke the truth and could therefore be trusted. Many like him have since gained high office in the land and have been a blessing. Those who lied, like Nixon, have gone down in shame and disgrace.
I will not be voting in the upcoming elections as I can only do so when I am a citizen, which I intend to become in two years from now. However, I have been greatly exercised and troubled by what I see unfolding before me in the nation. Chiefly I am perturbed by the culture of lying that is penetrating the halls of power. Now I get it that politicians lie but what I am referring to is more dangerous than this in that it is endemic and done with ease on a scale that is not befitting leaders. This my friends is not good and if not checked it will completely undermine the great foundations upon which this nation was built. In short, lying by those in positions of power and influence destabilizes the very nature and existence of democracy because it deceives the very people who put them into the privileged place of governance. This is wicked and soundly condemned by the pages of scripture. So then, in recent days the present administration has lied about:
- The affordable Health Care Act, the President acknowledged this
- The nature of the Benghazi Attack. Though the administration well knew from the beginning that it was a well coordinated and planned assault they deliberately lied to the American people about this because they were in a critical election cycle. More disturbing still is the fact that Hillary Clinton lied to the parents of the young men who gave their lives trying to save their comrades.
- The nature of Muslim terrorism regularly assaulting the nation. The nation is repeatedly being told that Muslims are not perpetrating these wicked acts. The American people deserve more from their leaders than to be treated like idiots!
- The events at Fergusson where a white law enforcement officer was called to apprehend a black man who had just openly robbed a general store. This black man not only resisted arrest but he also tried to assault the officer and disarm him leaving the officer with no other choice than to shoot him. The lie thereafter told, and bought into initially by the administration, was that the young black man was gunned down while he had his hands up in surrender. This was a blatant lie, later proved to be so by the Department of Justice but out of this falsehood came an anarchist movement called, “Black Lives Matter.” The lie continues and, as for the law enforcement officer who did his job by protecting the community and his own life, he has lost everything and has gone into hiding. All because of lies!
- Hillary Clinton’s email scandal. The FBI, while declining to prosecute, has confirmed that she did not tell the truth in many issues related to this reckless business. In fact 60% of the country consider her now to be untruthful!
- The very nature of the Iran Nuclear Agreement. Day after day more disturbing details of this deal emerge proving that here again the administration has not been straight and clear with the American people.
- The $400 million given to the Iranians as a ransom payment for the release of American hostages. Though the White House originally denied this the State Department subsequently confirmed that the money was paid as a ransom. The Iranians themselves confirmed this and in response the White House press secretary said, “Well you can’t trust what the Iranians say.” If this were true then on what grounds of truth was the Nuclear Deal made?
Undoubtedly, Hillary Clinton’s response to questions put to her designed to get to the truth about Benghazi sums it all up when she exclaimed, “What difference does it make?” She didn’t think that the truth mattered any longer because in her thinking it is what it is. What do you think? The right answer is, it matters a lot because when leaders lie and pass it off as irrelevant you have to ask, “Why do they do this?’ for two reasons:
- To seize power…and,
- To keep power.
This means that in their heart of hearts they despise the people that put them into power by democratic vote. They are indeed willing to deceive them, as the electorate is just a means to an end and nothing more. It also means that they will do anything to retain power and will abuse the mechanisms of state to achieve this. America needs to wake up because this is the stuff that causes nations to drift toward totalitarianism. (The emergence of big government, ever increasing regulation and disregard for the founding freedoms won by the pioneers) I have “no skin” in this upcoming election but the constant and habitual lying of high government officials alarms me. It is deeply troubling and every American should be alarmed as well. Recent local elections in Tennessee revealed that only 3% of those eligible to vote did so. This is very disturbing because the founders of this great nation placed her destiny in the hands of the people but it appears now that even the people don’t care; what does it matter!
When we lie to one another and then to ourselves it will not be long before we lie to God Himself. When this happens we can only expect His displeasure and the signs of this are everywhere. People who are repeatedly lied to are thereby in the end disenfranchised from the truth, are unable to discern truth and will in the end lie to their own consciences. That is, they will get to a place where they see little problem with supporting lying leaders. When this happens the circle of deceit is completed and the great foundations upon which the greatest Republic the world has ever seen was built will begin to crack.
On that day the God who gave America existence will once again come looking for her and He will ask the question, “What have you done?” May it not be that the nation will answer as Adam and Eve did and thus lie to God Himself. I have written this article because I have come to love America and I believe that the God of the Bible who made her great has not given up on her. His arm is still outstretched toward her in love, mercy and grace and if taken by repentance and a love of the truth America will yet see its greatest days. Let us remember that John Adams, the second president of the United States wrote:
“We have no government armed with power capable of
contending with human passions unbridled by morality
and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry,
would break the strongest cords of our constitution as
a whale goes through a net. Our constitution was made
only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”